More than 600 new washable and recycled continence products have been added to a national framework launched by NHS Supply Chain.
The full range of adult and children’s products is available in a choice of colours and styles, and the recycled products are available across the entire range of procedure pads.
The clinical and procurement teams within NHS Supply Chain: rehabilitation, disabled services, women’s health, and associated consumables, responded to customer feedback for more-sustainable products when developing the framework.
Lisa Charlesworth, clinical engagement and implementation manager, said: “There has been a real push from our suppliers to go green, and coupled with what our customers are telling us, we are delighted to be able to add so many washable, reusable, and recycled products to our framework.
“This is just one example of how NHS Supply Chain is supporting the NHS to be carbon net zero by 2045.
“We are working with suppliers on some new and exciting ideas, including offering more eco-friendly, sustainable, and biodegradable disposable products.
“Just some of the initiatives include suppliers using recycled ocean plastics, fully-recyclable packaging, and using innovative technology.”
There are more than 2,000 products on the Disposable and Washable Continence Care and Associated Products Framework, including 1,200 new products from new and incumbent suppliers.
The products are intended for use throughout the NHS in both acute hospital wards and by patients in their own homes or in care homes.
There framework is divided into eight eight Lots:
- Lot 1: Adult Disposable Continence with Integral Fixation (includes pull ups, all-in-ones and belted)
- Lot 2: Adult Disposable Continence without Integral Fixation Pants (includes shaped including male, rectangular and insert and faecal)
- Lot 3: Fixation Pants for use with disposable pads (includes basic and comfort with and without legs)
- Lot 4: Paediatric Disposable Continence Products (includes nappies and pull ups)
- Lot 5: Disposable Accessory Products (includes procedure pads (formally underpads) and sheets)
- Lot 6: Adult Washable Continence Products (includes various adult washable underwear)
- Lot 7: Paediatric Washable Continence Products (includes various paediatric washable underwear)
- Lot 8: Washable Accessory Products (includes bed and surface production)
The framework runs until August 2023, with an option to extend for an additional 24 months.